Prospective Students

Interested in Journalism and Trauma, apply for a lab position with TACTS.

For clinical student applicants, Dr. Newman is searching for 1-3 students (2024-2025) interested in Journalism and Trauma. Competitive applicants will have experience in research (abstracts, papers presented at national meetings, publications), have excellent writing skills, and a strong background with data. Students from various underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply. 

Mentorship Style

Embracing a clear, collaborative, and goal-oriented approach, I guide my mentees through their academic, and professional development. At the start of each semester, students outline their goals and learning objectives; we review and revise them together which fosters shared decision-making and mutual understanding.   This approach allows students to learn how to create reasonable professional timelines for achieving success, take responsibility for professional growth, and allow clarity.   I firmly believe in the power of setting objectives to track progress and succeed.  In the process of goal setting and working towards the goals, I encourage students to recognize their unique relative strengths and weaknesses, directly try to improve areas of relative weakness, and ultimately identify and practice strategies to meet their professional goals considering their unique abilities and skill sets.   

My support scaffolds learning tasks, building upon each skill to create a comprehensive understanding. This method not only helps mentees grasp new skills and understanding but also empowers them to apply these learnings independently. Consequently, my mentoring style fosters an environment of growth, self-reliance, and continuous learning. Individual meetings are structured to promote that autonomy.  For example, in our individual meetings, we begin by students presenting their agenda items and I will add any additional items.  We then prioritize tasks.   Further I offer my opinions and developmental feedback straightforwardly but kindly, ensuring that honesty and empathy are at the forefront of our interactions.